West Virginia Utility Assistance Program:
- Provides a grant directly to your utility account
- Available to customers who may not be eligible for LIHEAP
- Income Guidelines: at or below 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines
Am I eligible?
- Use our Income Calculator to find out if you qualify based on income. Customers who are eligible for Dollar Energy Fund’s West Virginia Utility Assistance Program will have gross (before tax) income that is between 0 percent and 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.
- Have you made a sincere effort to pay your utility bills? To be eligible, you must have paid at least $100 toward your gas and/or electric utility bill in the 90 days prior to applying. If the applicant is 62 years of age or older, a reduced payment of $75 dollars within the last 90 days is acceptable.
- If you are seeking assistance with your WV American Water bill you must have paid at least $50 toward your bill in the 90 days prior to applying.
- Prior to applying for the West Virginia Utility Assistance Program, all applicants must have previously applied for all open and available state and federal programs. These programs include, but are not limited to EA, LIEAP and E-LIEAP.
- Must be a resident of West Virginia.
- Are you seeking assistance with one of Dollar Energy Fund’s partnering utility companies? Click here for a list of our eligible companies.
How To Apply
You must meet all guidelines to be eligible to receive a grant. Click here to review our eligibility guidelines.
Prior to applying for the West Virginia Utility Assistance Program, all applicants must have previously applied for all open and available state and federal programs. These programs include, but are not limited to, EA, LIEAP and E-LIEAP.
Contact nearest Community-Based Organization. Please be aware that hours vary for each organization. Click here to use our Agency Finder to locate all CBOs in your area.
Bring all necessary information to your appointment at the CBO. You will need:
- Valid government issued identification card
- A copy of your most recent utility bill, including your utility account number
- Proof of all payments made in the last 90 days
- Proof of income for yourself and everyone in your household
- Active termination notice or broken agreement letter or proof his/her utility service is disconnected
- Names of everyone in your household
- Birthdates of everyone in your household
- Social Security Numbers for everyone in your household
Complete the application with the CBO intake worker. Once the application is complete, the CBO will submit the application to Dollar Energy Fund.
You will receive written notification by mail of your grant decision. If you are awarded a grant, the money will be applied directly to your utility account.
Continue to make regular utility payments. A Dollar Energy Fund grant is not a substitute for your regular monthly payment.