The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a federally funded program available to help eligible customers in West Virginia with their heat bills. The program is administered by the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources. Eligible customers must apply for LIEAP funding prior to applying for a grant from Dollar Energy Fund’s West Virginia Utility Assistance Program.
To be eligible for LIEAP, customers must have a gross (before tax) income at or below 130 percent of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.
Use our Income Calculator to find out if your gross (before tax) income is within the range of eligibility for LIEAP.
How to Apply
LIEAP applications are available at your local DHHR Offices, Community Action Agencies or Senior Centers and on the Department of Health and Human Resources website. For more information or to complete an application, visit your local DHHR office, Community Action Agency or Senior Centers, or call toll-free to 1-800-642-8589.
You will need the following information when you apply for LIEAP:
- Names of everyone in your household
- Birthdates of everyone in your household
- Social Security numbers for everyone in your household
- Proof of income of everyone in your household; if household claims zero income, applicants must provide statements documenting how living expenses have been met for at least the 30 days prior to the date of application
- A copy of your most recent utility bill, showing the account number, or bulk fuel receipt
- Telephone number where the applicant may be reached or receive a message