Looking Back: 2017-2018 Mid-Year Review
Posted on: April 4, 2018
We are halfway through our 2017-2018 program year! Take a look at what Dollar Energy Fund has accomplished during the past six months, with the help of our staff, utility partners and supporters.
- In November, our Warm Your Hearth, Touch a Heart Campaign kicked off its 9th annual event with a reception at Hearth and Home Furnishings in Zelienople. Efforts to date have brought our nine-year total to more than $138,000, including a generous match from Peoples, to assist gas customers throughout Butler County.
- Dollar Energy Fund was proud to be the presenting sponsor and benefiting charity of Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland this season.
- Dollar Energy Fund began a partnership with the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority to establish a bill discount, lead line replacement, and hardship program for limited-income customers.
- Duquesne Light Company supported Dollar Energy Fund during its Power It Forward campaign through a 24-hour social media fundraiser and text-to-give campaign that raised $10,000 for Pittsburghers in need.
- Vineyard Vines in Ross Park Mall hosted an in-store 10/10 event. For a 3-hour period, every customer received 10% off their purchase while Vineyard Vines donated 10% back to Dollar Energy Fund.
- Dollar Energy Fund hosted a new event with iHeartMedia and 3WS Pittsburgh called the Winter Warm Up Request-A-Thon where supporters could donate to request a song. The event raised more than $77,300 to provide utility assistance to approximately 215 Pittsburgh families and individuals who were struggling to stay warm.
- Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania hosted a fundraiser in partnership with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, which donated a portion of every Pittsburgh ticket sold to Dollar Energy Fund, totaling more than $12,200.
- In January, Dollar Energy Fund raised more than $222,000 during its 4th Annual Cool Down for Warmth event in Market Square, all with the help of local business leaders, sponsors, utility partners and many generous community individuals. The amount raised gave assistance to approximately 635 Pittsburgh families and individuals who were struggling to afford safe utility service.
- During Cool Down for Warmth, we hosted a Bowls for Warmth Lunch in the Square Soup Tasting, where local restaurants participated in a soup challenge and served cups of soup to the lunchtime crowd. Fifteen local restaurants showed up to support Dollar Energy Fund and the lunch event raised over $20,000 in two days, including a match from our utility partners.
- In February, Dollar Energy Fund’s 10th annual Warmathon on NewsRadio 1020 KDKA raised $150,000, which helped 430 Pittsburgh-area households.
- Through our partnership with the Pittsburgh Penguins, we hosted a variety of fundraisers this season to expand our reach and awareness in the community. Our Jerseys for Warmth Auction and Fan Appreciation Night Raffle raised over $80,000 combined, including a match from our utility partners.
- During the Pittsburgh Home & Garden Show in March, Dollar Energy Fund teamed up with Dormont Appliance for a raffle to benefit limited-income Duquesne Light customers.
- Dollar Energy Fund partnered with the Columbus Blue Jackets to raise funds and increase our reach in Ohio through a variety of different raffles, including the CannonBall, Jerseys Off Our Backs, and CBJ Special Jersey Auction.
- Most importantly, Dollar Energy Fund has distributed over 15,303 grants, totaling more than $4,140,247 across the country since October 2, 2017. Since 1983, we have assisted 530,000 households by distributing $146 million in utility assistance.
With your help, we can continue to provide immediate and direct assistance during our 2017-2018 program year. Your contribution, no matter how big or small, can make an extraordinary impact by ensuring local, limited-income families maintain or restore safe utility service and get on a path to self-sufficiency. If you would like to get involved during this program year, subscribe to our email newsletters and get the latest updates. We have many more fundraising opportunities
On behalf of the many individuals, seniors and families we’ve helped, we thank you for your continued support!